Afterpay will direct all inquiries from customers, regarding return of goods, to you, the Retailer/Merchant. For privacy purposes, Afterpay is unable to issue a refund to a customer on behalf of a Merchant.
Afterpay will only process refunds following the instruction by a Merchant though the issue of a refund request via the Merchant Portal.
- Afterpay will determine how to apply the refund to the customer’s order and adjust the customer's payment schedule accordingly to reflect the refund issued
- Afterpay will process amounts back to the customer’s card in the instances where the customer has made payments to Afterpay already.
- An email will be sent from Afterpay to the customer to confirm the refund has been processed and communicate the changes to the customer’s payment schedule.
- Any refunds will be accounted for in the next settlement date. Refund amounts will be clearly identified as such in the detailed settlement information.
- Afterpay Merchant fees are non-refundable in the event of a refund.
- Once a refund has been issued, Afterpay is not able to reverse or change this action.
You must NEVER REFUND CASH to a customer in relation to any amounts paid by customers to Afterpay.
For Merchant’s integrations configured for refunds, any refunds issued via your ecommerce solution will update to Afterpay automatically and you will not need to log on to the Afterpay Merchant Portal.
Any refund other than the full order amount is considered a partial refund.
- Afterpay will automatically update the customer’s payment schedule by reducing the instalments or processing a refund back to customer’s card where required.
- The refund is applied to the 4th instalment first, then the 3rd instalment and so on.
Example: If the order value is $100 and the customer has paid 1 instalment of $25 then in case of a partial refund ($60 for this example) Afterpay will cancel the customer's 4th and 3rd instalments of $25, and reduce the 2nd instalment to $15.
Any refund which is of full order amount is considered as a full refund.
- Afterpay will automatically cancel the customer’s payment schedule so that the customer is no longer charged for the order.
- If the customer has made any payments Afterpay will process a refund back to their card.
For example: If the order value is $100 and the customer has paid 2 installments of $25 then in case of a full refund Afterpay would cancel the installment 3rd and 4th and process $50 refund (i.e. $25 X 2 instalments) back to customer’s card.
To issue a refund via the Merchant Portal,
- Login to the Merchant Portal
- Click on the Order that you wish to apply a Refund to
- View Order details and press the ISSUE REFUND button
- Enter the Refund Amount and your password
- Press ISSUE REFUND button
- The refund will be processed by Afterpay to the Customers’ order.
- The refund will be accounted for in Settlement at the next settlement date.
Once a refund has been issued, Afterpay is not able to reverse or change this action.
Note: You will be bound by the terms of your agreement with Afterpay as to how you deal with exchanges, returns and refunds.